Wednesday, November 30, 2011

CHRISTmas Songs

So yesterday I confessed that my favorite non-religious Christmas song is Jim Nabor's version of Silver Bells.  Oddly enough, judging by the emails and messages I got, I am not the only one familiar with Mr. Nabor's work. 

However, my favorite true Christmas song is a tie between O Holy Night and For Unto Us a Child is Born from Handel's Messiah.  Both of these songs can evoke strong emotion with a powerful message.

O Holy's Night's chorus is striking and powerful;

Fall on your knees, O hear the angel voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born!
O night, O holy night, O night divine!


I think I'll have to give it to Handel's Messiah though.  That piece as a whole is simply awesome.  And the words...there just are no words to describe them other than;

"For unto us a child is born,  unto us a child is given; and the government shall be upon His shoulder; and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counselor, the Mighty God, the Everlasting Father, the Prince of Peace."
Isaiah 9:6

Who can argue with a song of such magnificence that's straight out of the Bible?  Awesome.

What's your favorite?

No comments:

Post a Comment