Friday, December 16, 2011

Yes, I am!!

Here is a Fish Out of Water post for ya... Normally this is the time of year that being in the public school bothers me most. It's ok to talk about Hanukkah and Kwanzaa but not Christmas even though the vast majority of students and teachers have a Christmas tree up in their home. But that's not why I'm writing.

Being that we have been in the public school system for going on 4 years now, my kids are very aware that not everyone is a Christian. This bothers my oldest daughter in particular. She wants so badly to believe that all of her friends and teachers love Jesus and will one day meet us in Heaven. So whenever she comes across evidence that someone she knows and/or cares about may not be a believer, she tries desperately to explain away their behavior and how it could still be possible that they are Christian. And she could be right.

She has this teacher though. She really likes this teacher. She looks up to her. She's a nice lady. So out of concern and a little bit of curiosity, my oldest daughter and one of her good friends, who is also a Christian, take it upon themselves from time to time to just ask people. So one day they asked this teacher of theirs, "are you Christian?". It's the teacher's reply that has me bothered. There was none. No direct answer anyway. They have asked her multiple times and each times she skirts the question like a politician on trial. She doesn't say yes and she doesn't say no.

For me, if I were to be asked that question, answering yes would be as natural as answering the question, "do you have brown hair?" "yes!" or, "are you a girl?" "yes!"  "Are you a Christian?" "Yes!"
So why wouldn't this teacher want to answer their question?

I tried to explain to my daughter that if you are a real Christian you should never be afraid or ashamed to tell anyone. 

I don't know if this teacher is a Christian or not, however, I don't know any true believer that would be afraid to admit it to an 8 year old.  And if she's not, why not just say no?  So...anyway.

On a positive note, my 6 year old brought home a book from the school library that was about Christmas and Jesus!  Yes, they have such a book in the school library!  ( you have to look for and get excited about these little positives when you are the public school system) AND, it just dawned on me yesterday that they still say the pledge every day and the "under God" part.  How do they explain that?  I'm not complaining, it's just inconsistent with their no religion rule. 

2 Timothy 2:15 says, "Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a workman who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth."

1 comment:

  1. Oh, such a great post, Katie! I agree with ALL of your sentiments:)!

    Maryanne Helms

    ReplyDelete