Wednesday, April 25, 2012

I Hate Going to the Post Office

I went to the post office the other day. Twice. In one day.  The first time they told me my package would be $35 to mail because although it did not weigh that much, the size of the box hung over the edge of their little scale thing and so the price rose from 9 dollars and something to 35. $35 to mail a stinking package!! *breathe* The whole point for me to mail it in the first place was so I could save myself some valuable suitcase space when we fly to Texas this weekend. (I was mailing puffy flower girl dresses). I could have flown them in their own suitcase for cheaper than that.

So I said, no thank you, and left in search of a smaller box.

I did find a smaller box. I had to squash down the puffiness of the dresses, but they fit. Then I returned to the post office. Unfortunately it was around lunch time. You know what that means. The post office staff all but disappears leaving one and a half people behind to work the office during a time when, rightly so, a lot of people go to the post office. Why so many people at lunch you say? Cause it's their lunch break and that's when they have time to go. Evidently, every other place of business in the universe understands this and does their best to accommodate a larger crowd. The post office, who as we all know is run by great business minds, *heavy sarcasm implied*, does the opposite and cuts it's staff at lunch. After all, they gotta eat too, right?

And then there is the oh, so friendly faces you are greeted by after you have waited in line for 20 minutes and watched 5 people go through the old man's line while the lady with the 'tude on her face gets through ONE person.

Customer service anyone???

And they wonder why they aren't making any money.

So I mailed my package. $9.40. Exact same thing in the box, but a $25.60 difference.  ???

**Update;  To the credit of the USPS, my very important package did arrive and on time.  A very sincere thank you.

2 comments:

  1. Katie- I have had one too many of those experiences and mail from using the bathroom scale and a measuring tape...USPS allows you to pay for and print postage online and there is a discount for using the online service too. Just FYI.

    ReplyDelete