Friday, January 22, 2010

My Cleaning Journal

I thought I'd keep a little journal of my experiences this week as I attempt to stick to my cleaning schedule. My intent is to put them together all in one post to prevent you from being inundated with my inane rants about cleaning.


Monday:

Vacuum and sweep house


First of all, I need to amend my schedule. I don't know why I said I would only sweep once a week and then sweep and vacuum on the same day. I certainly can't be expected to sweep and vacuum all in one day. Even without the schedule, I usually sweep every other day if not every day.


I'll admit it was a bit difficult to motivate myself to even just vacuum today. After all of the other straightening and just general cleaning, I felt done. Not that I didn't think the house wasn't in desperate need of a good vacuuming, I just didn't feel like it. However, how much of a failure would I be if I couldn't even stick to the schedule on the first day. So I vacuumed. The whole house. ( I usually only do a couple of rooms at a time, the ones that need it most). Let me just say that I think I would have made a good episode of I Love Lucy or Amelia Bedila, take your pick. That stupid cord. If it's not abruptly coming out of the wall, it's getting stuck around a corner, wound around the vacuum or wound around me, getting in the way of the vacuum, somehow knotting up and just making it more difficult in general to rid my house of random bits of dust, crumbs, paper, food... Why in the world, with all that man is capable of, cannot someone invent a vacuum cleaner, with intense suction, that does not have a cord!!?? I can put raw bacon the the box in my wall and push a button and have beautifully, crispy bacon in less than 5 minutes. I can sit here and write on my computer and push another button and you all can see what I've said in and instant!! Man on the moon!! No cord there! Why not on a vacuum cleaner!? That's all for now.


Tuesday:

Laundry and Dust house


First of all, it was tough to wait until Tuesday to do laundry. I was determined to stick to the schedule though, even if it meant a couple of the kids had to wear something I dug out of the dirty clothes basket. Second, dusting is not going to happen on the same day as laundry. I don't know what I was thinking when I scheduled that. Laundry is an all day, all consuming thing for me. I did it though. I got 4 loads washed, dried and folded. I do have to admit that it did not get put away until the next morning. I have an excuse for that though. Usually, as far as household chores go, I clock out at 8 PM, when we put the kids to bed. After 8 is my time, my husband's time. Time that I can do nothing if I want to and not be interrupted. Time that I can have a grown up conversation, and not be interrupted. Anyway, in order to keep to my schedule, I was not able to clock out at 8. I did have to finish folding. That meant that by the time I was done, the girls were already asleep therefore preventing me from being able to put their clothes away.


I did get it put away, first thing the next morning though.



Wednesday

Mop

Mopping got done. The floors are one of the biggest areas where my cleaning prowess is most lacking. If I was ever fortunate enough to have a house keeper, floors would be on the top of my list for her. It got done though and I do feel better for it. I usually mop when a) I can't stand it anymore because they are just gross b) when I have time. Yesterday I didn't really have the time, but I made the time. So, they are clean now. Yeah.

Thursday

bathrooms

Ok. It's official. I have failed. The bathrooms did not get cleaned according to the schedule. I had a really busy morning. I had a headache in the afternoon and yes, I turned on the T.V. for the kids, and I laid down on the couch. So what are you gonna do?

Friday

ironing

Ya, whatever!

( I did make up for yesterday though and cleaned the bathrooms today. They really needed it).

In Summary...

screw the cleaning schedule! I tried. I really did. It's just not for me. It did teach me a few things though. One, that I'm lazy. Not a lesson I was really hoping to get out of this, but I think it might be a little true (hard to admit). Not that I'm lazy in the sense that I just lay around the house all day. That's not it at all. I'm usually really busy during the days. I'm just lazy in the sense that I don't like having to constantly be moving all day because of some stupid schedule I set for myself. I've always thought of myself as a pretty schedule oriented type person. I'm sure if you asked my in-laws, they'd agree with that whole heartedly. But maybe having a schedule for cleaning, something I don't really enjoy, is taking it just a bit too far for me. It was actually a bit stressful. It made the task of cleaning almost worse.

Another thing that this experience taught me is that if I stayed home a little bit more, I could be more productive around the house. I'm on the go a lot. When I'm not home....the housework doesn't get done. So I've decided that if I can try to choose one day each week to stick close to home, that will be my cleaning day. And on that day, I will only clean the things that need to be cleaned. It might be that I have to do several tasks on one day, but if I plan to be home most of that day, that shouldn't be a problem. Laundry will be done when it needs to be done on a day all by it's self and ironing will be done when I feel like it or when Paul says he doesn't have anymore shirts or pants to wear.

All in all, I do feel good that I am ending the week knowing I have a clean house. The laundry is done, the floors are clean (that is huge for me!), all the bathrooms are clean, the house has been vacuumed and dusted. It's nice. Not sure how long it will last, but I'm going to enjoy it while I can. Of course, the room I'm sitting in right now is a disaster, toys all over the place. We have a play room and this isn't it. They like to be where I am. That's something else I am going to enjoy while it lasts.

No comments:

Post a Comment