Monday, January 4, 2010

Twilight Saga



Ok, so last night I went with some girlfriends to see New Moon. My friend, Susan, recently got me into the Twilight Saga books. I know this series has been around for a while and I am a bit late on the uptake, but, ya, here it comes...I LOVE these books! At first I was reluctant to even touch the stuff. However, I do like reading books that are in a series and was looking for a new one to start. I had been reading this political thriller type series that I really liked (by David Ballducci in case you are interested) and have to admit that coming off of that, which is a fairly sophisticated type of read and going into Twilight, did not have me start off the bat in love with this book. It's a bit of fluff, teenage romance, a lot of girly type descriptions and I had to get used to that before I could begin to enjoy it. The first 1/3 of the book was a bit slowish for me, however, once I had erased all thought of sophistication from my mind and got into the mindset of a teenage girl (I used to be one ya know, not that long ago), it was hard to put down. Since then I've read the first book and seen the movie and in reading the second book managed to ignore my husband, children and housework to finish it in a TOTAL record for me of 2 DAYS! It was even better than the first! Again, my girl Sue has hooked me up to get my fix in by lending me book #3, Eclipse. The movies New Moon and Twilight were both cheesy of course and filled with this intense angst of tortured, unrequited love, all the while everyone brooded and gazed at each other with amazing desire. They were awesome.


My husband thinks I'm incredibly silly, I know. It's a girl thing though. He wouldn't understand. Despite the fact that the book is about vampires and werewolves, I somehow manage to find the characters relatable. Bella's intense despair when Edward leaves her (been there), Edward's desire to do what he believes is right despite what his peers think (been there), the way they both are so in love and pine for one another (kinda been there), Bella's desire to not age (there right now), her real but platonic love for Jake and her pain in knowing that she does not love him the way he loves her (been there too). Where I haven't been is with a perfect man, i.e. someone like Edward. Don't get me wrong, my hus is wonderful in more ways than I ever hoped for in a man, really, but Edward, Edward is perfect. It's no wonder this series has been so popular with the ladies, young ones especially. The author really, should probably put some sort of disclaimer in the front of the book to all young girls reminding them that Edward is a fictional character and does not exist. I mean, come on, not only is he beautiful, but he is athletic, chivalrous, intelligent, strong, thoughtful, moral, her protector and he plays the piano. His only mistake is loving Bella too much. And girls, not even poor Robert Pattinson, who plays Edward, is Edward. He is human, therefore not perfect. Let's not get confused. Sorry Rob (as I know you probably spend your spare time searching for and reading mommy blogs and so are most certainly reading this one) to burst your image, as I'm also sure I'm the first to announce your mortality. Right?


I know, I know, I'm 34 and married. How could I get so caught up in this teenage romance novel. To tell you the truth...I don't know. Do you think I'm crazy? Silly? I do. But I don't care. And the funny thing is, while reading these books and the vivid descriptions the author writes about the relationship and the closeness shared between Edward and Bella, it has not made me jealous of their love or affection. It's made me recognize just how loving and affectionate my own relationship with my husband really is. I have realized that my husband touches me and is engaging with me in ways (just like Edward) many times throughout the day that I had grown so accustomed to that I have stopped noticing. And he may not even notice that he is doing these things either. But now, I have a renewed appreciation for these things.


So thanks, Edward, and Stephanie Myers. Even though my husband (and no other man) could ever live up to the standard of this good vampire ( and yes, I do realize how silly that sounds), you have helped to open my eyes again to what is right in front of me. A man who has loved and protected me and our children with great intensity for the past 9 years.


Now, don't tell me what happens. I've only just begun book #3. I plan to take it a bit slower with Eclipse since the movie does not come out until June. I've already told my friend, Susan that I'll be going to the midnight showing with her, a first for me.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to see you posted your thoughts about Twilight here. I enjoyed talking about it Sunday night with you and Lisa. It was nice to let out my inner fan girl for a bit!

    I am looking forward to reading more of your thoughts in the future. As someone who's had a taste of home school, private school, and public school, I definitely agree that there are pros and cons to each.

    ReplyDelete