Monday, February 1, 2010

Another one bites the dust


Yep. You guessed it. Wilbert died. Wilbert was our second Beta Fish for those of you who have not read my previous post on the matter. Kristin got the first one for her birthday. Louis. He lasted an astounding 7 days. Wilbert did manage to outlive Louis by about 2 weeks, but alas, he too met his watery grave this past Sunday afternoon. I think our problem with fish comes when we clean the bowl. After we lost poor Louis, I did some reading and found out that Betas do not like cold water but prefer almost warm. I was careful to make sure the water was not too cold the first time I changed his water. My husband, however was not in the know. He thought he was being helpful and changed Wilbert's water while I was away. I'm pretty sure he used pretty cold water. Wilbert may have been on his way out anyway. We had noticed that he had not been eating with his usual vigor the last few days. The cold water must have pushed him over the edge.


People a lot of times, get a fish as a pet thinking they are easier to care for than a dog or a cat. I'm not sure that's true. Fish are finicky. And if they don't like what you do or the way you do it, they just die! A dog or cat would at least have the decency to just nip you or something to let you know what ever you just did he/she did not appreciate and you need to do it differently next time. A fish...no such courtesy. They just die. How rude!


I think we are done with fish for the time being. Thank goodness.

2 comments:

  1. So sorry about your fish! We were having good luck with ours until one night our cats decided they wanted sushi. You can imagine my kids completely freaking out over where their fish had gone to overnight when they came down and found two empty fish bowls.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! That is pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete