Tuesday, February 2, 2010

To Eat or Not To Eat

I was reading a magazine the other day that had all these "loose weight" tips plastered all over the front. I thumbed through the magazine to find the article about said "tips" and did not walk away feeling encouraged in the slightest. In the article is a list of "goodies" you can eat and still not gain weight! *gagging self with finger* Did you know you can have 3 Hersey's kisses or 1 Russell Stover chocolate , 1 chocolate dipped strawberry or a whopping 12 sweet tarts and only sacrifice 77 calories (or less)? Say what!?? Who wants only 1 chocolate or only 3 Hershey kisses? Why would you go to all the trouble to make or buy chocolate dipped strawberries if you can only have 1? The tagline on this article is "indulge without guilt this Valentine's Day." Again, Say What?? Indulge? If 12 sweet tarts or 1 Godiva chocolate truffle heart is your idea of indulging, then I say you probably don't need to be worrying about losing weight in the first place. I don't know about you, but MY idea of indulging is eating a BOX of Russel Stover chocolates, or maybe a handful of chocolate dipped strawberries and forget the sweet tarts. Give me something fried with a choice of 3 different dipping sauces. Those things may be more than 77 calories, but I'm pretty sure I'd be a lot happier than the person with their 10 hot tamales. Don't get me wrong. I'm all about trying to eat healthy and would even love to loose a few pounds, but that article just made me sad. I'm not saying it would be a good idea to eat a whole box of chocolates everyday or fried food with an array of dipping sauces, but come on, if you are going to indulge, then indulge. Don't insult me by pretending that 1 strawberry is an indulgence. I'm not 2.

Let me now take this opportunity to plug my friend Alison's company called the Body, Beauty and Bravery Project. I'm not sure if I'm contradicting myself by putting this information on here given my above rant about eating and indulging or if I'm backing myself up. Either way, I thought it was appropriate to include. Her mission is "to enlighten and inspire women and girls to embrace their God-given beauty from the inside out. The main "bravery" address and beauty curriculum encourages positive self-esteem, a healthy body image, and increases media savvy." Her ultimate vision is "to see women as equal to men and worthy of dignity, and not to be treated as objects always needing to lose a couple pounds." You can find more information at http://www.bodybeautybravery.com/.

disclaimer: I am ignoring all the thoughts that pop up about indulgence and how we as a society have way too much and are spoiled. I am well aware that any of those treats listed above may very well be considered an indulgence to many people. I am pretty sure however, that those people aren't reading the same article.


2 comments:

  1. thanks Katie! now i don't feel so bad eating 1/2 bag of chocolate covered pecans the other day.

    ReplyDelete