Thursday, September 23, 2010

Rule #12

I've come up with a new rule for our family. Does anyone watch NCIS? If you do, you know how Gibbs has all these rules, going up to 51, I think? They are all these weird, random, yet poignant rules. They all have a number. All Gibbs has to do is say, "rule # such and such" to get his point across to his team. They are things mostly appropriate to the working environment of an investigative service, not necessarily family friendly. No one seems to have a complete list, nevertheless, they know the rules. No one on the show, anyway, has a complete list. I googled "NCIS Rules" and there are evidently several fan sites dedicated to the rules.

Anyway, I think I am going to throw away my old teacher rules about having rules (keep your list to 10 or less and write them in the positive) and be more like Gibbs. (in no particular order) Rule #1 Honor always. Rule #2 No interrupting. Rule #3 Obey your parents. skipping ahead, Rule # 12 When you get to be in second grade, you become responsible for cooking dinner for the family once a month.

That's the rule I had in mind when I began this post. Kristin is in second grade now, so this rule applies to her. She made her first meal the other night; grilled cheese and tomato soup. She did pretty well and was very enthusiastic about it. In fact, Grace and Elliott have been asking when can they make a meal. Maybe the next time we have cereal for dinner.

I do think feeding the whole family, was more work than Kristin thought it was going to be. I stood there and supervised the whole thing and told her what to do. She did it all. Everyone enjoyed her efforts. It was a tasty dinner. We are proud of her.


No comments:

Post a Comment