Thursday, February 10, 2011

A Little Birdy Told Me

I know it only February. I know it even snowed a little last night. I know the highs this week are in the 40s. I know it's cold outside. But...there is this bird that sings outside my bathroom window. This bird is singing for all he's worth and I think he's saying that spring is on it's way. When I hear this bird, if I close my eyes and ignore the snow and cold, I can imagine going outside in short sleeves and seeing the bright sunshine and feel it's warmness on my skin, walking in the fresh, green grass in my bare feet with the scent of numerous flower blooms in the air. Alas, I open my eyes to see a dusting of snowing covering the ground, mud in our backyard instead of grass (green or otherwise) and stark, barren tress and bushes. Everything looks dead and cold.



I enjoy the season change. If you've been reading my blog for any length of time, you may remember my post about the coming of fall. Although fall is my favorite time of year, spring is certainly a welcome change to the coats and boots and layers and being stuck indoors.



Growing up in Florida, I never really experienced spring or fall. Everything for the most part is always green. Maybe that's why I get so excited about these seasons. I am, however, looking forward to going to FL to visit my parents during the kids February break (schools in our county get a week off in Feb. for no apparent reason. Don't ask. I don't know why.) Although spring in FL does not necessarily mean flowering trees and plants, it does mean comfortable temperatures and no snow.

I had intended to get outside and try to capture some sign of the approaching spring with my camera, but due a very busy day and a little bit of laziness on my part, I did not. So, no pic to go with this post. Sorry.

2 comments:

  1. I love winter, but this year I am ready for Spring. We also have a Winter Break in February, but it got cancelled due to a whole week off of snow days in January. Come on warmer weather!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if our Feb. break got cancelled, I would have protested and taken the week off anyway. We had a week off for snow too but have only had to make up 1 day and 1/2.

    ReplyDelete