Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Spell Check

I have to share some of the recent work my kindergartner, Grace has brought home. At her school, the focus is on phonics. Spelling is not a main subject. Even for Kristin who is in second grade, they rarely have spelling tests. It's just not emphasized. The emphasis is put more on writing, phonics, comprehension and concepts of print. So as far as spelling goes they prefer the kids to sound out their own words, usually with no help from the teacher. They learn the letters, sounds, digraphs, consonant blends, ect., and then they are on their own.

As you can imagine, this results in some writings that are rather difficult to decipher. It is neat though to see the progress even Grace is making throughout the year. At the beginning, I was hard pressed to get every other word. Now, however, I can figure out most everything. It does occasionally make me laugh though, the way she sounds out some words. She is sounding them out the way they sound to her. Sometimes, that is WAY off. It's cute. It makes me smile.

Here are 2 recent examples:

These are writing assignments that are part of a writing prompt. The teacher starts a sentence or asks a thought provoking question and the kids have to respond.




In case you need a translation, the above paper says: "I see two baby penguins. I will name them Macey and Sara." Notice how she spells "penguins." "pingwins."

Here is another:




The translation for this one is; " I would say would you like one of my cookies." Notice the word, "cookies." "kuceys."


Cute, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment