Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fashion Five

The other day, I commented that Grace was going to be fashion forward one day. Elliott, who is never without comment, says, "No she's not. She's fashion five." Get it? Because Grace is 5 years old, not four.

Grace is our fashinista. She loves layers and frills. She loves jewelry and makeup. When my grandmother died, I got all of her old costume jewelry. She had quite the collection. Grace has since discovered her stash and has fallen in love with it. There are so many sparkles and so many options!

Even though Grace is almost 6 years old, I still have to keep a tight reign on what she wears on days when we are going out in public. If I let her completely have her creative freedom, she may come out looking like a cross between lady ga ga and an actual Disney princess. (Tiana from Princess and the Frog is her favorite princess, which is another post for another time. She cried and cried one day when I wouldn't use this dark brown eye shadow she has to "paint" her face brown so she could look like Tiana. Yes, I know.). Anyway, this is a picture of one of her lesser fantastic outfits.



Notice the pearls (which she did wear out yesterday) and the "diamond" earrings and the scarf adds a whimsical, "I'm fashion forward" touch to it all.


My friend Meredith writes a fashion blog, http://www.findingsoulbalance.blogspot.com/. She might even be impressed with Grace's sense of style.


I'm slightly worried we may have some issues with Grace one day concerning her sense of style. She often talks of how she wants to color her hair. And not normal colors. Colors like blue and purple and pink. And once she gets over her fear of the piercing gun, there is no telling what she come home with that has a new hole in it. She's a bit of a free spirit. I do love that about her, I'm just a little scared of how that will play out in the teen years. Fortunately, she has a VERY conservative older sister who does not want to do anything to draw attention to herself and insists on wearing an undershirt with everything and is terrified at the thought of needing a bra one day. Grace on the other hand, creates bras and the stuffing to go with it.

1 comment: