Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Curse of the King Size Bed

When we first got married my husband wanted a king sized bed. I did not. For some reason, I wanted to be close to my husband and at the very least be able to tell he was in the bed with me. That was 11 years ago. We now have a king bed. We've had it for a few years now. I will never go back. I can admit it. He was right, I was wrong. We should have gotten a king from the get go. It's the best of both worlds; close when you wanna be, space when you don't.

However, there is a drawback. I've gotten so used to our nice, big bed that now, when we travel, unless we are blessed with a hotel or family member that has king bed (and we rarely are), I can't sleep. There's just not enough room. A queen doesn't work like it used to.

We recently traveled to Texas for my brother in laws wedding.  We stayed in a pretty nice hotel.  However, whenever we stay with our kids in a hotel, we usually get one of those rooms with 2 beds and neither is a king.  At least they were queens.  So it wasn't horrible.  But it wasn't wonderful either.  And I was tired, so you would think I would have been able to sleep anywhere.  No so. 
And a full size bed... well, I won't even try that anymore. When faced with a double bed, we would rather opt for separate rooms. My husband, bless him, says he can't sleep without me and would be willing to give it a try. I just can't. Double beds were not made for regular size people. I don't know where the term "double" came from but it's not double anything.

So, we (I) are under the curse of the king size bed. It always makes coming home after a vacation a little more sweet.

2 comments:

  1. :) We have a queen. When we go on vacation, we get to enjoy a King for a week, but my hubs doesn't like it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to know I am not the only one who struggles with this issue. ;) It is the one reason I dread going on vacation and always take so much time picking out a hotel. This problem has been made worse by our purchase of a Temperpedic Bed a year ago. We bought an adjustable split King bed. Now, even finding a hotel with a King size bed doesn't work - within a day or two I am missing the comforts of our bed at home. Wow ... just writing this I realize how old I must be getting. :)

    ReplyDelete