Friday, February 8, 2013

Anyone who thinks little girls are fun to dress up doesn't have one

I hate shopping with my girls.  It is not fun.  For me or for them.  People think that if you have little girls, they are so much fun to dress up and make look pretty.  Not my kids.  About the time they learned to talk, they started having an opinion about what they will and won't wear.  Out went the bows and frills and most things cute. 

They complain that I don't like anything they like.  I complain they don't like anything I like.  I remind them that my mother let me go out of the house on numerous occasions looking like a doofus (sorry mom) and that I refuse to let them go out of the house looking like a doofus.  Sometimes I even show them proof pictures of me looking like a doofus.  They laugh, as I'm sure many people did who saw me then.  I also complain that the dress options for my size 7-16 girls stinks.  Most of them are just ugly.  My 10 year old tried on a dress that literally looked like something I have actually seen my grandmother in.  Modesty is not a problem for us right now.  Thank goodness.  Our fight is over taste.  I have it, they don't.  haha.  That was kinda a joke. 

I digress.  My 5 year old will still mostly let me have a say over what she wears and will usually go for the frills.  In fact, for her, the frillier the better. 

For the most part, I let them choose their clothing. I get the final say, usually based upon whether or not it's appropriate for what's going on that day.  But for special occasions, I like to have more of an input. I want to be able to help them look nice without squashing their own sense of style. 

 I will admit that part of the problem this year was that the dance (the event we were buying dresses for) is Friday and we didn't start looking till Wednesday after school.  We were under the gun.  Not a lot of time. 

It's the Father Daughter dance again.  Last year they had a great time.  I'm sure it'll be lots of fun this year.  Next year, I am going to institute some pre dance changes. 

My 5 year old is wearing a dress she already had, her flower girl dress from my brother in law's wedding.  My 7 year old ended up getting a dress that we both could agree on that she is very excited about.  My 10 year old's dress is still up in the air.  We'll see what I can come up with today.  The dance it tonight.  It's now or never! 



 

1 comment:

  1. That is why I don't take my girls shopping. And I often let them leave the house looking very "unique". You might want to save your energy for when they are teenagers and the issues are about modesty. :)

    ReplyDelete