Thursday, January 7, 2010

Zumba

I started my zumba class yesterday. In case you don't know what Zumba is, it is "a fusion of Latin and international music that creates a dynamic, exciting and effective exercise system"; that's according to the zumba.com website. I have no doubt that I look absolutely hilarious while attempting to "pop it" and swivel my hips in ways they don't normally move. My only solace is that, believe it or not, I am not the only dance challenged person in the class. I will say, however, I did end this class yesterday feeling a bit encouraged with myself. I'm pretty sure there were women there who looked even more hilarious than I did. I was also, believe it or not, on the younger end of the scale. If you read my previous post, you'll understand why this seemingly insignificant fact can manage to up lift me so much. Having felt a lot lately "in the middle", I was pridefully encouraged that I was (for an hour at least) young again!

I must give the instructor her props though. I will admit, when I first saw her, I thought to myself, "oh my goodness. This is going to be lame." She is friendly as ever but seemed to me to be a little old for a Zumba instructor. She looked to be in her late 50's. Now I'm not knocking women in their 50's. If you've even heard anything about Zumba, you know that it's not the proper kind of dance that you might find older ladies doing. Not like the waltz or fox trot even. It can have a bit of a sensual feel to it, once you get the hips going that is. So, you might can understand my apprehension when I first saw the instructor. However, like I said before, I have to give her props! This lady can move! AND she looks good doing it! I was very impressed.

So, I gyrated and shook it until I was afraid it was going to fall off. In the end, it was fun. I enjoyed it. I even felt like I had a good workout. I convinced a friend of mine to take the class with me with the pretense that what happens in Zumba class stays in Zumba class. Both of us were athletes in our former years and have no dance experience. The whole dancing idea is a bit intimidating. But, you know what, who really cares what I look like zumba-ing? I'm having fun, and getting in better shape. So Dancing With The Stars, here I come!!
p.s. I do not have a picture to include with this post, nor will I ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment