Tuesday, November 16, 2010

A Special Girl

The other night Grace woke up with a tummy ache. Ya. Uh, oh. You know what a tummy ache in the middle of the night means. So I was up for about 2 hours that night. Not because she actually got sick. (Thank you, God for that) because she didn't, but because I was worried that she would. I HATE the throw ups. HATE them! I know some people prefer that kind of sickness to a bad cold because it is over relatively quickly compared to a cold that can last for a week or more. Give me some yucky snot any day over a stomach virus.

I am writing, though, not to tell you about my irrational fear of throwing up but to mention a friend of mine. While I was up worrying about something as trivial and temporary as throwing up, my friend was laying with her 2 year old daughter as she took her last breaths. Hailey has been ill with cancer for about 2 years now. She was diagnosed with an aggressive form of brain cancer at 8 months old and since then has been in a battle to end all battles for her life. She lost that battle early Sunday morning. My heart and thoughts and prayers go out to Hailey's family right now. They are grieving the loss of a very adorable, tough little girl. There are many, many people grieving the loss of Hailey. Myself included. There is joy, however, in knowing that she is only gone from this world, that she now lives, whole again, no longer sick and suffering, with our Lord Jesus.

She may have lost the battle but she won the war and will now celebrate the victory forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment